Listing agent requiring buyer's agent to view apartment in NYC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Listing agent requiring buyer's agent to view apartment in NYC

Hey. I submitted an offer for a listing on 102nd st. I just received a message from the listing agents saying that I need to tale a look at the apartment on my buyers' behalf. Is this normal? My clients have mainly been attending open houses on their own and they prefer it that way...

I'm relatively new to this, so any advice would be appreciated. I thought that it was okay to submit an offer without seeing it, especially since clients already viewed at an open house. Seems like a waste of time. Thanks!

Hi Sabrina - if you're a buyer's agent you should attend every single showing along with your clients. Otherwise you really aren't working in their best interests. If they'd like to make an offer will you know the condition of the property? How will you be able to advise your client as to its value in order to make an appropriate offer? This is also a sure way to get listing agents angry with you, and I don't blame them.

Having said that, there is no legal requirement for you to see a property before placing an offer on it. Buyers sometimes make offers without ever seeing a property. There is, however, a legal and ethical obligation for the listing agent to present all offers to the seller - without any conditions. According to what you have said, that listing agent is in violation of NYS law, and if the listing agent is a Realtor, then he or she is also in violation of Article 1 of the NAR Code of Ethics, for which he could be subject to suspension or up to a $15,000 fine. Many listing agents think showing a property is the basis for procuring cause. It is not.

I'd apologize to the listing agent for not having been there, explain that your clients rushed over without you, but politely explain that your client's offer still must be presented to the seller. If they still refuse, then have your broker contact their broker about it.

Comment

Working...
    X