Words and Phrases that Violate Fair Housing Laws in NYC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Words and Phrases that Violate Fair Housing Laws in NYC

My friend who's a REBNY member broker sent this to me, apparently it was circulated to all REBNY members and it seems like these words will automatically be screened by REBNY's new compliance system. Violations of Fair Housing Laws, for example having these prohibited words in your listing description, can earn you a severe fine with no notice period of $10,000 or 0.5% of the listing price apparently, whichever is greater. This zero notice thing is scary, it means you don't even have a chance to remedy it without getting fined.

The RLS says that the following words are prohibited in most instances (as you might reasonably expect):

able-bodied only
    adult friendly
    adults only
    adults preferred
    African Americans friendly
    African Americans only
    African Americans Preferred
    AIDS friendly
    AIDS, no
    American Indian friendly
    American Indian preferred
    American Indian, only
    Asian friendly
    Asian preferred
    blind friendly
    buddhist
    cash assistance
    Catholic friendly
    Catholic preferred
    Catholic, only
    Chicano
    Chinese friendly
    Chinese only
    Chinese preferred
    Christian friendly
    Christian only
    Christian preferred
    citizens only
    disabled
    disability
    English only
    FEPS
    gay friendly
    gay(s)
    heterosexual
    Hindu friendly
    Hindu only
    Hindu preferred
    Homosexual
    Hispanic
    Islamic
    Jewish
    lesbian
    lesbian(s)
    LGBTQ
    LINC
    low income
    married couples
    married only
    married preferred
    Mexican friendly
    Mexican only
    Mexican preferred
    Muslim friendly
    Muslim only
    Muslim preferred
    Nationality
    no African American
    no American Indian
    no Asian
    no blind
    no Catholic
    no children
    no Chinese
    no Christian
    no crippled
    no deaf
    no handicapped
    no HASA
    no Hindu
    no Jews
    no Mexican(s)
    no migrant workers
    no Muslim
    No Negro
    no Philippine
    no Polish
    no programs

These words may be a violation as well of Fair Housing Laws in NYC depending on in what context they're used:

good school
    near church
    near synagogue
    near temple
    safe neighborhood

Note that REBNY has said multiple times that this list is not meant to be all-inclusive, and may be amended periodically. The PDF on the REBNY website can be found here (which may be updated periodically): https://rebny.com/content/dam/rebny/...ases_List.pdf?

P.S. Remember, when writing listing descriptions the focus should be on describing the property, not what a potential buyer's characteristics should be. Not what seller is like personally, and not what the buyer should or ideally be like. That's a no no in the 21st century :-)

It's encouraging to see this new initiative to reign in the behavior of brokers who behave inappropriately, although I must admit I can't recall ever seeing a listing description in Manhattan have any of these terms or phrases. Perhaps it's more prevalent in outer boroughs?

Also, curious about the inclusion of the phrase 'low income'. What are the implications of this when advertising for HDFC apartments which have actual income restrictions?

Comment

That's a great question, I've definitely seen the phrase "low income" used before at least in the official HDFC coop income limit rules (good article on this in general linked below). So the building docs itself may have that phrase, which would then be unavoidable if you must hand them to a buyer.

With that said, perhaps REBNY is referring more to the listing description itself. You can be more generic on there, and just say income limits are as follows, and keep it at that.

And agreed, I don't think any REBNY brokers, particularly in Manhattan, ever use any of those prohibited words. Times have changed, and moved on. People aren't that ignorant anymore, least of all in NYC.
      How do I calculate the maximum HDFC coop income limit? What are HDFC coop income limits and rules in NYC? We’ll go through sample HDFC coop income limit rules and calculations with you in this article so you’ll know exactly what you’re getting into before buying a HDFC co op apartment in NYC.

Comment

Had to laugh when I saw this post. I know of too many sellers who want to write, or have a large input, into their own listing descriptions. Much to the dismay of listing brokers, sellers seem to always want to emphasize the school zone their building is in, or that it's zoned for great schools. While I'm sure that's a selling point for parents with children who are looking, it definitely seems to be a potential red flag at least according to these REBNY rules.

What do you guys think?
        What should NYC home sellers watch out for when writing FSBO listing descriptions? Can you mention the great school district your home is in?

Comment

Working...
        X