Risks to buying condo rehab vs new build in NYC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Risks to buying condo rehab vs new build in NYC

We're thinking on purchasing into a new condo re-development project in Lower Manhattan (FiDi and Seaport area). It seems like a good deal for a condo in terms of price. What am I missing? Are there any risks to buying a condo conversion vs a ground up new construction?

I realize the building won't be new. It'll actually be the original landmarked exterior. The interior is gut renovated. Any risks or it seems like too good to be true?

Hi Conrad, this is a great question. Nothing is free in life. What you should find out is whether the condo conversion was a total gut rehab, or whether it was a more cosmetic "botox job."

The reputation of the sponsor is supremely important in my opinion as well. The bigger well known sponsors generally do a good job on their punch lists and delivering a good product, as they care about their brand equity. However, beware if you run across a condo rehab done by a small or unknown sponsor. They may simply be flipping a disaster onto new buyers after doing a light paint job.
    Buying a condominium conversion, rehabilitation or re-development is very different from buying a new construction condo in NYC. Whereas in a ground up new construction building everything is new, that is not the case with a condo conversion. Is the plumbing, electrical and roof new? Is the condo budget realistic?

Comment

Working...
    X