How to install washer and dryer in apartment in NYC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to install washer and dryer in apartment in NYC

Can someone tell me how to put a washer and dryer in an apartment in NYC? My wife harasses me at least a few times a month about not having a washer machine in our condo in New York City. So either we have to start looking for apartments with washer and dryer in unit or we install a washing machine in our condo. Also, there's not condo washer and dryer in our building so we currently have to lug our laundry once every couple of weeks to the neighborhood laundromat to clean our clothes. Any help would be appreciated.

It's hilarious, I had the exact same issue. Only thing is ironically I used to have a washer dryer in the apartment, but I removed it to make room for a bigger bathroom in my bachelor days. My wife gave me a tough time about it about once a week until we solved it. How? Instead of signing an alteration agreement, putting down a deposit, hiring a contractor and dealing with the mess (which I don't recommend if you are going to be living there simultaneously), we just bought a portable washer and a portable dryer on the internet!

There are lots of producers out there, both big and small. We bought both from a small online company called The Laundry Alternative, but there are similar devices for sale from much bigger companies as well. The products did work, but it's definitely a small company as there was virtually no customer support. We ended up hiring a good plumber to figure out how to attach the water hose below our sink (we didn't have a standard size faucet head). But after we figured it out ourselves, it's better than ever. Remember, portable means we can stow it away in the closet after we're done, which is amazing.

The only downside to this is we can't figure out how to get hot water (it's only cold water). The portable dryer is a spin type dryer, so it's not tumble dry. So we still leave it out to dry all over the apartment. But you know what? It's a big upgrade over hauling it to the neighborhood laundromat, especially since they regularly destroyed our clothes.

Comment

Working...
    X