NY State Gains Tax for Real Estate Sales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NY State Gains Tax for Real Estate Sales

Guys, I hear this NY State Gains Taxes is due at closing if you are an out of state seller, vs only paying it when you file annual taxes if you're a state resident. This is a pretty significant tax at
    8.82% of gains.

IRC Section 121 seems to protect you if it's a primary residence, however it seems to not apply if you are an out of state seller. Can that be right?

I had a lawyer tell me today that if there are two owners of a property and one lives in state, and the other is out of state, then only one would get the IRC Section 121 capital gains exemption as well as exemption from the NY State Gains Tax, but the other wouldn't?

That can't be right? I thought that it didn't matter what state you were a resident of, the IRC Section 121 applies equally to all. Thoughts?

What are NYC real estate taxes like? How will tax reform affect NY home owners? What taxes will you owe New York for buying and selling property in New York City? Read our overview of NYC real estate taxes tailored for buyers, sellers and owners. Updated for The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2018!

They never protected my interests. I had to run after them all the time. Thank you for sharing this information, it's very important to me

Comment

Working...
    X